We strongly encourage investigators to share research animals in order to reduce research animal numbers. Transfer of animals already used in protocols (i.e., non-“surplus” animals) depends on the following conditions:
- Multiple major survival surgeries are not allowed;
- Animals subjected to a major surgery or other procedure with the potential for more than momentary or slight pain or distress will not be approved for transfer to another protocol unless scientific justification is provided, and the transfer is reviewed and approved by both the University Veterinarian and the IACUC.
How do I transfer animals to another investigator?
Once the receiving and donating PIs agree on the transfer, the following must occur:
- Principal Investigators
- The donating PI informs the Animal Facility Supervisor about the agreement.
- The donating PI completes Part 1 of the Request for Intra-University Transfer of Live Animals form, and the receiving PI
completes Part 2.
- One of the PIs faxes (x5324) or hand delivers the signed original to the UM Vivarium, B103 NCNPR.
(Facility preparations will take longer if biohazards, infectious agents or radioactivity are involved.)
- Animal Facility Supervisor (once notified by the donating PI of the agreement to transfer animals):
- Notes the transfer.
- Changes the per diem billing account to the receiving PI.
What happens to the form after it is submitted?
- Animal Facility Supervisor notifies IACUC staff and Attending Veterinarian.
- Attending Veterinarian reviews the form.
- IACUC Staff ensures proper animal numbers tracking for animal use is within regulations.
- Final disposition rests with the Attending Veterinarian or Animal Facility Supervisor, who must approve the transfer.
- The IACUC will review cases where “Background” bullet #2 above applies.
What happens once the animal transfer is approved?
- Animal Facility Staff:
- Contacts the PI to arrange for the transfer once the application is approved.
- Ensures that animals are housed properly and that all census sheets are revised.
- Faxes (x7577) a copy to the IACUC office.
- IACUC Staff:
- Notifies both PIs of the approval via email; if the animal transfer was denied, the PIs will be provided the reason for the denial.
- Faxes a copy of the approved form to both PIs.
- Files the original approved form in the Animal Transfer folder and a copy each in the respective protocol folders for the donating and receiving PIs
Information for per diem, animal tracking, and accounting:
- Donating PI:
- Will have transferred animals subtracted from their protocol only if they were not used in protocol procedures. Control animals are counted as animals used in the protocol.
- Must report the transfer on their next Protocol Annual Update form.
- Receiving PI:
- Will be charged per diems.
- Will have the number of animals transferred counted against their protocol.
- Is responsible for new cage cards for the animals containing all necessary information (for animals housed in the Animal Facility, these may be obtained from the Animal Facility office).
- Must report the transfer on the next Protocol Annual Update form.
Contact us with questions:
Division of Research Integrity and Compliance at x7482 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- AWAR § 2.31,d,1,x,A
- Guide, page 12