Alice M. Clark, Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs
Frederick A.P. Barnard Distinguished Professor
The University of Mississippi
Dr. Alice M. Clark serves as the chief research officer for the University of Mississippi. In this role, Clark is dedicated to serving the university’s research mission and ensuring quality, impact, student engagement, competitiveness, innovation, and leadership in research. The University of Mississippi is a Carnegie-designated high research activity university.
Dr. Clark previously directed the National Center for Natural Products Research. Since 1984 she has received continuous peer-reviewed NIH funding to conduct research related to the discovery and development of new drugs for opportunistic infections. Dr. Clark has published extensively on the discovery of novel biologically active natural products and pharmaceuticals, authoring and co-authoring more than 100 original research articles, reviews, and book chapters. Dr. Clark received her B.S. in Microbiology (1973) from Troy State University and her M.S. (1976) and Ph.D. (1978) in Pharmacognosy from the University of Mississippi.
- Recipient of the Marcy Speer Outstanding Reviewer Award, NIH’s top award for excellence in service as a peer reviewer (2010)
- Rho Chi National Lecturer (1996)
- Fellow of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (1993)
Selected Leadership Roles:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Retiring Chair, Pharmaceutical Sciences Section
- NIH, Center for Scientific Review Advisory Committee
- NIH, Common Fund Transformative Research Projects Program, Review Panel
- NIH Botanical Research Centers Expert Panel
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Academic Research Fellows Program Mentors
- Mississippi Research Consortium (MRC). MRC serves as Mississippi’s Science and Technology Advisor to the Governor and comprises the chief research officers of Mississippi’s four research universities.
- Mississippi University Research Authority
- Mississippi Broadband Connect Coalition, Co-Treasurer
- Southeastern Universities Research Association Board of Trustees
- University of Mississippi Research Foundation Board of Directors
- University of Mississippi Medical Center Cancer Center, Internal Advisory Board