Does my research involve export-controlled technologies?
See the first two lists below (a and b); then search the EAR and/or the ITAR databases (c and d).
- Short List of Export-Controlled Technologies
Selected export-controlled technologies – a general topics list that can be a start to determine if your project falls under ITAR or EAR. You must check the ITAR and EAR databases to be certain, however.
- Boycotted Countries: U.S. Treasury Department Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC): The following countries (updated here 10/09/07) are currently on OFAC’s sanctions list:
- Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Former Liberian Regime of Charles Taylor
- North Korea
Shipping equipment or software or providing services, such as surveys, interviews, and marketing information, to these countries is illegal. Some services can be licensed, however. This list is subject to updates. See OFAC’s Sanctions Program and Country Summaries for the most current list.
- ITAR Database — U.S. Munitions List: 22 CFR Section 121.1
The Code of Federal Regulations Title 22, Foreign Relations; Chapter I, Department of State; Section 121.1, The U.S. Munitions List (General)
- EAR Database — The Commerce Control List: Export Administration Database
The Bureau of Industry and Security, Department of Commerce, list is a complete collection of regulations relating to EAR. Supplement 1 of 15 CFR Section 774 is represented by Categories 0-9.