Sponsored programs fall into several general categories, which could serve as guides for the particular design of proposed projects. Specific guidelines from the sponsor provide details for particular programs, but the determination of the type of sponsored program is an important early step in designing appropriate and competitive program goals, methods, and structure. The types of sponsored programs include:
- Research, involving any activity specifically organized to produce research outcomes;
- Education and Training, involving any activity that is part of an institution’s formally organized instruction program;
- Public Service, involving any activity that provides non-instructional services beneficial to individuals and groups external to the institution;
- Scholarships and Fellowships, involving any scholarship or fellowship in the form of grants, trainee stipends, prizes, and awards for individuals enrolled in formal course work;
- Other, involving any activity that does not fall into the above categories.