The Provost and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs jointly purchased a site license for Qualtrics online survey software to foster research, instruction, and service.
All UM personnel – faculty, staff, and students – have access to Qualtrics to:
- Distribute unlimited surveys
- Collect unlimited responses
- Receive webinar training, email & phone support for creating, distributing, and analyzing survey data
Instructions & FAQs
How do I get access?
- Go to the Qualtrics Registration page
- Enter a valid olemiss.edu (or umc.edu) email address, a password, and click “Get Started!”
- Select your institution, enter your name, and click “Finish”
- Enter 26P39FN under “I have an access code” and click “Go”
- You will quickly receive an email for confirming your account and final activation
- After activation, log in at http://uofmississippi.qualtrics.com to start creating a survey
- If you are a student, please enter your best estimate for a graduation date
What if I already have a free account?
- Log into Qualtrics
- In the grey bar across the top of the page, click “Account Settings”
- In the darker grey bar below the blue tabs, click “Upgrade Account”
- Enter the Access Code: 26P39FN
- Click the "Upgrade Account" button
What if I already paid for a Qualtrics account?
Contact your Qualtrics representative and request a prorated rebate.
How do I get training?
Our Qualtrics license comes with unlimited training and support, so you are welcome to take advantage of this. Qualtrics will train small and large groups or classes and can do basic, advanced or custom training. Training is done webinar-style and usually lasts about one hour. For more information on training or to set up a training session for your group or class, please contact our training coordinator, Brian Carter at email@example.com.
Further details on types of training available in the Qualtrics Training Brochure.
- Main site http://www.qualtrics.com
- Training site http://www.qualtrics.com/university/
- Sample surveys that show some of the range of capabilities http://www.qualtrics.com/sample-survey/
Instructors & Researchers
- Instructors can set up ~1 hour interactive webinars to teach students about survey creation in Qualtrics
- Researchers who routinely use surveys can save surveys to “libraries,” and the ORSP administrator can set up laboratory research group access to allow members to pull items or combine previous surveys into new surveys
Are there any costs?
There is no cost to the individual UM employee or student to use Qualtrics. The campus license fee is paid annually by ORSP out of the institution's share of F&A (overhead) generated by external grants and contracts.
What if I have questions?
Your first step is to take full advantage of the online tutorials, webinars, and documents available on Qualtrics University. Once you’ve exhausted that training, you can email questions to Qualtrics. Getting help by phone should be your last resort.
Can Qualtrics translate my existing Survey Monkey Survey?
No. Legal considerations prevent this.
We researched software vendors and found Qualtrics provides:
- extremely sophisticated and powerful survey tools
- complex branching logic
- ability to incorporate audio & video in surveys
- detailed data reporting
- comprehensive training via online video, text tutorials, and webinars
- unlimited support, including email and telephone help
Regulatory Requirement for Human Subjects Research with Surveys: UM Institutional Review Board (IRB)
All human research conducted at, by, or under the auspices of this institution, whether funded or not and whether conducted by the administrators, faculty, staff, or students, must be reviewed and approved before the research begins – including subject recruitment.
Much survey research involves quality assessment / quality improvement. See this policy to determine if your QA/QI survey does not need to go through the IRB: IRB Review of QA/QI Research.
Many class projects use surveys and fall under the IRB waiver policy: IRB Waiver for Class Projects.
When would I contact UM’s Qualtrics administrator?
- When your account is disabled, because the graduation date you entered at sign-up has passed
- When you are a survey researcher who wants to provide access to existing surveys to some or all of your research team members
UM Qualtrics administrators
- Penny Rice, Faculty Technology Development Center; parice ( at ) olemiss ( dot ) edu; (662) 915-7918
- Amelia Robbins, Faculty Technology Development Center; amelia ( at ) olemiss ( dot ) edu; (662) 915-7918
UM Office of Research Point of Contact:
- Jason Hale, firstname.lastname@example.org; 662-915-7583