The UM Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs (VCRSP) is soliciting requests for talented young faculty in the chemical sciences who are interested in being nominated for a Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award from the Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc. [the Foundation].
Key Dates (2011-12):
Nov. 18, 2011 This announcement posted to ORSP Web and UM Today
Dec. 5, 2011 Notice of intent be considered for nomination due to Vice Chancellor of Research and Sponsored Programs [VCRSP]
Dec 12, 2011 Internal applications/nominations due to VCRSP
Dec 16, 2012 Selection of UM nomination announced
Feb 2, 2012 All final nomination materials and support letters of chosen nominee due to UM ORSP Division of Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA).
Feb 9, 2012 Paper nomination materials and support letters due by air or ground delivery to the Foundation; ORSP will send this packet, including final institutional support letter.
May, 2012 Funding announcements expected
Funding: $75,000 expended over 5 years, including $7,500 for departmental expenses associated with research and education. Indirect/overhead costs may not be charged.
Cost Sharing: Prohibited
Limitations: UM may submit only one nomination per year.
Eligibility: Nominees must hold a full-time tenure-track academic appointment, with an appointment date no earlier than mid-year 2006.
Criteria: Competitive nominations will present an independent body of scholarship attained within the first five years of their appointment as independent researchers, and a demonstrated commitment to education; undergraduate education should be an important component of the nominee's activities
Materials Required for Internal Nomination Request
(required items 3-6 from announcement)
- A summary description, with references, of the nominee's research accomplishments as an independent faculty member, and a description of research plans (limited to seven pages)
- A statement intended to convince the reviewers of the nominee's dedication to education in the chemical sciences (limited to three pages)
- A CV (limited to seven pages) including a list of publications in which independent contributions and undergraduate coauthors are clearly identified. Research support should be indicated
- A budget (less than one page) describing how award funds will be used
Materials Required for Final Packet from UM (for One Selected UM Nominee)
- A completed nomination form (to be made available online)
- A letter of nomination from an institutional representative highlighting the nominee's achievements, and the basis for selection (limited to three pages). ORSP will coordinate the preparation of this letter from an appropriate central university administrator, informed by the other application materials.
- A final version of all of the materials included in the Internal Nomination Request
3 Letters of Support must be completed and separately submitted to the Foundation from individuals familiar with the nominee’s capabilities and accomplishments, as directed in the funding announcement.