New animal research personnel (and new Principal Investigators) who will be working with live vertebrate animals must complete the following steps:
1. If new personnel are being added to a previously approved protocol start at step 2. If new personnel are being added to a new protocol start at step 3.
- Working with the IACUC, and
- Species specific or Wildlife, as relevant to the work you will do, and
- Laboratory Chemical Safety, and
- Animal Biosafety
If applicable, complete:
- Aseptic Surgery, for anyone performing surgical techniques
- Minimizing Pain and Distress, for anyone performing procedures with the potential for more than momentary pain and distress
4. Complete other applicable Safety training (biological, bloodborne pathogens, carcinogen, radiation, etc. as needed);
5. Read Asthma and Allergy materials;
7. The Attending Veterinarian, Dr. Fyke, will email you after you submit your form to schedule a meeting with you to review, print, and sign your Risk Inventory. This must be complete before being seen at Health Services (step 9).
8. Complete Part I and Part II of the Occupational Health Evaluation form.
9. Contact University Health Services for an appointment to be seen by a UM healthcare provider. Be sure to take a prinout of BOTH the Occupational Health Evaluation AND your Risk Assesment, that was SIGNED by Dr. Fyke in step 7, to your appointment.
Students: Call 662-915-7274
Employees: Call 662-915-6550
10. After the healthcare provider signs Part III of the Occupational Health Evaluation form, email ONLY that page to the IACUC office at firstname.lastname@example.org. (this can also be placed in the IACUC mailbox on first floor of Barr Hall.)
11. The IACUC office will notify you when you have met all the requirements.
12. After recieving IACUC approval, personnel who will perform surgery and/or procedures with more than momentary pain and distress much obtain a proficiency certification from Dr. Fyke prior to performing any procedure unsupervised. PIs must contact Dr. Fyke at email@example.com to schedule evaluations for all personnel that require certification.
*Non-UM students/staff/faculty please contact IACUC.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IACUC Approval MUST be received BEFORE new personnel may work in any animal area.