Programs for Engaging Students in Experiential Learning
University guidelines limit the number of hours an undergraduate or graduate student may work to 25 hours in any given workweek (Monday – Sunday). Exceptions may be permitted when students participate in a program that provides an educational experience as approved by the Experiential Program Review Board. If you believe your department offers this type opportunity, then please download and complete the Experiential Program Request Form and submit via email to email@example.com.
Requests are reviewed on the second Tuesday of each month by an Experiential Program Review Board, made up of representatives of HR, ORSP, Financial Aid, Outreach, Provost's Office, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the University Research Board, and other faculty members. The Program Review Board's decisions will be communicated with the contact provided on the request form. Annual reviews are required.
Engaging High School Students in Research
The Rebel Research Scholars program is avaialble for supporting summer and academic year programs involving hosting high school students on campus. Please see the Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research, the Rebel Research Scholars Toolkit/Flyer, and the Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision of Pllanning Form; the latter should be submitted to RebelScholarsBoard@olemiss.edu for review at least one month before the beginning of the proposed HS program.
Links and Resources
- Creating High School and Undergraduate Research Experiences at UM: Tips and Resources (PPTX).
- Rebel Research Scholars Presentation (PPT), Feb 2018
- Rebel Resarch Scholars Tookit/Flyer (docx), Feb 2018
- The Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research (v7) can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/ResourceGuideforUMHighSchoolStudentResearch-v7.pdf. .
- The Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision Planning Form can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/RebelResearchScholarsMinorSupervisionFormFillable.pdf.
- Minors in University Labortories Fact Sheet: http://safety.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/142/2014/06/minors2015.pdf.
- Univesity Supervision of Minors Policy: http://eorc.olemiss.edu/minors/.